There is nothing so joyful as a group of moms-to-be, at various stages of pregnancy, moving freely and fully. Celebrating this special state of being by maintaining strength, endurance and range of motion promotes emotional well-being as well as health during this major life transition.
By selecting activities that promote fitness, health and well-being for their programs, our teachers insure that moms-to-be receive the maximum benefit from the time they spend in class.
Here are some birth stories from our clients (edited for privacy):
• We’re happy to report that [our baby boy] was born on Saturday at 12:31 am…our exercise classes were ESSENTIAL in the later part of labor — the doctor and nurse described me as a “natural” at pushing, but I had to admit to them that I’d been practicing my c-curves twice a week for a few months already! — G.S.
• We arrived at the hospital at 8pm on Friday and I was 6 cm dilated…I delivered by 1 am without pain meds. It was an amazing experience. You really do focus inward. I found sitting in the shower holding the sprayer to be helpful. Definitely try different positions. I used the bar for when it can time to push. Just know that there is an end in sight and just holding your baby at the end is the most wonderful, amazing feeling in the world! — P.E.
• We arrived at the hospital at 6am and I was already 4cm dilated…[at] 5cm dilated, I requested an epidural. The anesthesiologist did a great job, and I was still able to move my legs with the epidural. I found movement during labor to be very helpful, and in particular, circular movements of my pelvis (i.e. belli dancing). Post partum recovery has been quick. No doubt that [your] guidance and preparation was crucial to this end. I would like to thank all of you for your support… — K.L.
• On Sunday…after more than 26 hours of labor, [my wife] gave birth to [our baby boy]. Through the help of her birth support team she was able to deliver without pain medicine. She did a tremendous job, and we used many of the skills learned in class to focus, draw her out of her body, breath and relax. — M.&L.S.
• I just wanted to share with you the very good news that [our baby boy] was born at 8:38 pm last night. He weighed 8 lbs 11 ozs and measures 21.5 inches long. He finally enabled me to put my c curves and such to direct use by arriving a mere 8 days late (instead of the 11 days late that would have led to my second c-section). We are having a very nice time right now…and look forward to making our joint return to the gym in a few weeks! — F.A.
• Our beautiful baby boy was born Tuesday night at 9:09 p.m. The delivery went well (drug free!) and I received many compliments on my 50 minutes of pushing. Thanks for everything and I hope to see you in 4 weeks or so! — A.E.