“The sequence of topics helps you build a solid base. To prepare for the exam, read the objectives at the start of each section.” — MS
“This is the most powerful teaching I do — giving women confidence in their bodies.” — AF
Latest course material update: May 2012.
Check out the video: Teach a Class! on YouTube.
How to Become a Teacher
1. Register for the Correspondence/Online Study Course and Exam (see Registration Procedure, near bottom of this page). Receive your study guide workbook and follow the outline of web-based, textbook (purchase separately) reading, and hard copy preparation. Take the exam within 6 weeks of registration. Must pass exam (78%) to move on. For some, this is sufficient to go to step 3a.
2. Practicum. Hands-on skills for teaching exercise components that are safe & effective in pre/postnatal fitness.
3. Program Development.
- a) putting together your program on your own.
- b) using the license procedure to put together your program compliant with DTP’s guidelines. Includes class procedures, time line and budget planning, and marketing procedures (License). If you will be teaching for a separate licensee, you will learn teaching components and licensee will be in charge of operations and marketing.
FAQs About Becoming a Teacher
1. What will this certification qualify me to teach?
Once you are a certified teacher, you can work with…
- pregnant women
- mom-baby groups
- pre/postnatal personal training
- pre-pregnancy programs
2. What about Continuing Education credit?
The Basic study course and exam provide 12 contact hours and the praticum provides 4.5 contact hours with the State of California for physical therapists through PTPN. The course and practicum certificates are accepted by many fitness and health care professional groups, including ACSM and ACE, for 1.2 and .45 CEUs, respectively.
3. What is the purpose of the study Course and Exam?
It is designed to ensure that potential teachers have a solid grasp of the physiology of pregnancy and the postpartum period, so that they can make safe and effective decisions about what and how to teach this population. The Correspondence/Online Course and Exam results in a Basic Pre/postnatal Fitness Certification.
Those with little or no practical experience in fitness are not encouraged to become an instructor until they are active and have knowledge of anatomy and exercise terms, and experience teaching exercise.
For those with experience in fitness teaching and marketing, and who do not wish to license, this Basic Certification may be sufficient to develop and operate their own program. However, most people move on to the Practicum.
4. What is the purpose of the Practicum?
The Practicum is the “hands on” aspect of training. It ensures that teachers can safely teach Mind/Body work, Strength and Flexibility work, and Cardio/Aerobic work. Potential teachers work with master trainers to learn skills unique for this population and demonstrate the ability to lead exercises in each component area.
5. How do I actually put my program together, teach and market it?
Some individuals/businesses already have sufficient experience to do this on their own. Others need to learn this or want additional information on program development specific for the pre/post population. We provide this guidance as part of the Trademark licensing procedure.
Teachers receive class procedures and planning worksheets, along with feedback on their plans. Administrators receive guidelines for class scheduling, public relations, time and budget estimates and worksheets. The Trademark option also carries advantages in terms of visibility and credibility.
6. What about costs? Please review my Options and explain the Fees involved.
All options require that a potential teacher pass
the Basic Pre/postnatal Study Course Exam.
OPTION 1: Basic Pre/postnatal Certification for individuals seeking professional and academic education, who plan to develop their own programs, or already have their own programs.
The academic course work is done by correspondence/online.
• Study guide and exam: $319 per teacher. (Practicum is optional.) PTPN member discounts available.
The DTP Basic Pre/postnatal Fitness Study Course and Exam course has been approved for 12 State of California continuing education hours by PTPN, the Continuing Education Approval Agency.
OPTION 2: License for individuals and businesses who want program development assistance. Licensees may also use our tradenames (Total Pregnancy Fitness™, Dancing Thru Pregnancy®, Mom-Baby Fitness™, StrollerDance™) and teach programs that follow our successful guidelines.
Individuals or businesses may purchase license. Teachers receive assistance with class activities and structure, along with procedures to insure safe and effective teaching. The license includes guidance on operations and marketing. The Basic Certification (study guide & exam fees paid once only), License Fee and Practicum are required.
• Study guide and exam: $319 per teacher. Discount for 10 or more teachers at once: $279 per teacher.
• Annual fee for Trademark use: $250.
• Practicum: no fee for first teacher; additional teachers: $25.
Further information in Start a Program.
DTP’s TRAINING HISTORY AND OBJECTIVES:
Since 1984, DTP has successfully trained group fitness instructors, dance and yoga teachers, personal trainers, exercise physiologists, health care providers, movement specialists, physical therapists and other allied health professionals. Our goal is to help individuals, facilities and institutions bring safe, effective, state-of-the-art programs to as many women and infants as possible.
1. Contact via email: firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, mailing address, phone, email and interest in registering for the teacher training and we will follow up. PTPN members add your membership number. Or, call 203–481-2200. The best times to call are M-W-F from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. (Eastern time).
2. Select appropriate fee and pay via PayPal (below) for Study Course & Exam. Or, return the registration form we send to you, with a check via regular mail.
3. As soon as we have confirmation from PayPal or receive a check, the course workbook is emailed out. The workbook is the study guide for the course, with related pages from the textbook or online content referred to in the workbook. The exam is sent to you later. You have 6 weeks from the point of registration to take the exam.
LICENSING INFORMATION & REGISTRATION:
What do teachers say about their work and their training
“I know this is important work. I am so glad I found your educational program, so I understand what to teach and why.” — LB